8.27.2009

Kona Inn Banana Bread



Today the kids looked outside and said, wouldn't it be fun to go to Hawaii today, "yes" I agreed. But in place of a fabulous vacation, I pulled out my copy of my mom's ward cookbook. In it is a killer recipe for Kona Inn Banana bread, a recipe from a famed restaurant in Kailua Kona, Hawaii that has been around since 1928. Over the years, I have tried lots of banana bread recipes and this one is still the best. When we go back to Hawaii, I am going to the Kona Inn for their banana bread and maybe some opakapaka (pink snapper) or some ono (wahoo).

1 c. shortening (or butter)

2 c sugar

6 very ripe bananas

4 well beaten eggs

2 1/2 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add in bananas and eggs. Set aside. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Blend the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix! Bake in greased bread pans at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Insert toothpick in center to make sure it is cooked thoroughly. Makes 2 loaves.

EAT!!!! Today we are eating ours with a fake lei and sand sprinkled on our toes left in our sand dollar collection.