12.05.2009

Birthday Me!


As a kid, I remember my parents saying they didn't really need or want anything for their birthday. Rather all they really wanted was for us kids to get along, to make our beds without being asked, to wait our turn for the bathroom instead of pound on the door, and not leave fingerprints on dad's car windows - simple stuff.
When we really pressed my dad for birthday ideas, he would say new socks or black combs. Liar, I thought. Deep down I knew they wanted some grand gift. A trip. A spa retreat. An exotic and expensive dinner with 50 of their closest and best friends. Something big.
Now that I am a grown up, my kids think I am a birthday liar too. (Sometimes I really do, lie, but then I call it stretching the truth and there is a good reason for doing it but my parental hypocrisy is up for discussion another time).
When they asked me what I wanted, I really didn't want anything. A nice day that created a memory. And that is what I got.
Belgian chocolates all over my nightstand, dresser, and bathroom counter. One caveat, I didn't have to share with anyone. Extra sleep, school lunches already packed, a gourmet breakfast that even took some pre-birthday preparations, my own custom birthday crown, some new clothes, lot of birthday wishes (thanks to my facebook page) and phone calls and cards, no cooking all day, Thai dinner with whole family at our fave place, The Royal Orchid, birthday cake #1 mango and coconut milk and fried bananas, birthday gifts, my kids massage coupons, and an individual candle blowing out session 34 times with my boys who stayed awake until it was officially my birthday (we were laughing so hard because we did it the snort way, the old lady way, the hyper way, and lots of ways, and of course, with boys, the fart way), birthday cake #2, and cake in my face.
Thank you to everyone who celebrated my birthday with me. It was exactly what I wanted. No lie!