3.26.2010

Sister and Sitter

Seattle.

Sister.

Silly.

Tree Hugger.

O.k. not really, but she has given up her diet coke, which is HUGE!

Just for that she deserves a hug. A TREEmendous one!

Angie and Ariel came up and watched the kids for us while we were away last week. They both slipped into "momma mode" so well.

Thanks to the both of them the kids were extra, extra early to school and scouts, they went to Madalyn's school choir concert, recorded it for us to see later, dealt with dirty diapers, found the sushi place and shared (Makenzy loved Ariel's sushi!), treated the kids to ice cream, small gifts, and park time, shuttled another to a birthday party, made meals, and kept the house picked up.

I hardly leave the kids. Randy thinks I really should do it more. I am getting there. But in the meantime, it was a relief to have someone I totally trusted to be with them.

That and the relief that it was only my sister rummaging through the pantry, opening up closets and dwarers, having access to all and any nook and cranny in the house, and all the other little spots in the house. Plus, when I realized I forgot to take down the picture in the bathroom of Randy's abs (he is so private about stuff like that), I just shrugged off that at least it was my sister and she understands. I told Randy to be glad it wasn't some awful before picture, I mean they are good looking abs! I'd show mine off, if mine looked like his.

When we came back, we all headed off to Seattle to show them the sights. It has been a long time since Ang has been in Seattle and the last time Ariel visited she was so young she doesn't even remember the trip.

Even as the weather started to get cool, the kids couldn't resist getting wet. In fact, I was pretty impressed they weren't soaked from earlier in the day when we hung out at Alki Beach for a few hours.



Snoqualmie falls, a favorite stop whenever we have guests in town.



Unfortunately, the observation deck was closed and by the time we drove to the bottom to get a better shot, it was too dark for my camera to get any great shots.

No time for a trip to Tacoma and the glass museum but this little Chihully was just enough.

Sushi!
Ariel is a big sushi fan.
I have never been a huge fan of sushi, but it is really starting to appeal to me.
I prefer not to know what it is until after I've eaten it. That way I just appreciate it for the taste.



Since Ariel is checking out colleges, we thought "why not" here too! Randy took us on a quick tour of the University of Washington. The U-Dub campus is gorgeous. For example, the library behind us on red square elicits Renaissance flare in its carvings and stonework.


Yoshino cherry trees all in bloom in the Quad are a picture junkies perfect background.
GORGEOUS!
There were so many people taking pictures when we went. Families. Engagement pictures. Nature Lovers. Even a wedding party stepped in, white gown, tuxes and all.
The boughs pop with their pink bouquets. BEAUTIFUL!



Have you hugged a tree today? Isn't this tree just huge. This side of the state is called the evergreen state for a reason.
I have no idea what caliper it is, but I am pretty sure it must have been around when Lewis and Clark came through.


We opted to head over to Alki beach to make rock and sand dams while Ang and Ariel went to S.A.M. (Seattle Art Museum) and Pike's Place. I love going to Pike's but most of the kids find it a crowded, outdoor market and not much more.

The lookout.
The warm weather of the past few days was a relentless and welcomed tease that spring is here. However, the famous overcast of the northwest came whipping back by the evening. Only the boys didn't have their hair blowing across their smiles for this picture.


We have so many spots picked out for family pictures. This is another one. We are going to come back when we are all ready for the perfect family shot (which never seems to quite work out) or when company comes in town.

The Fremont Troll.
A quirky sculpture under the Fremont Bridge which is so much nicer than the upcoming toll Randy will be paying to and from work. Trolls definitely win out over tolls.
Thanks again Ang and Ariel. Come back soon, we already miss you guys!