6.07.2010

Award Ceremony

Self starter. Plans ahead. Diligent. Meticulous. Just some of the adjectives that describe Makayla. Academics are important at our house. Because my kids have the capabilities, I expect good grades. Not perfection, but his or her top performance. Whatever grade they get, if they have tried their best, then I am o.k. with it, they are o.k. with it. But 4.0 feels pretty amazing too!

Grades are important but not everything. But definitely something. The groundwork for scholarships, good study habits, and time management starts very early on. If she gets an A- or even a B, it won't be the end. Grades are remarkable indicators of performance, but I hope I have instilled in my kids they are not the only defining mark of learning and achievement. In school, I placed a lot of emphasis and a little too much self-worth on my grades. I did well. Over the years I received many academic awards and accolades, received multiple scholarships and graduated with my undergraduate bachelor's degree in 2 years with honors. I'd be lying not to admit I equivocate academics with some of who I am, but I've increasingly understood it is not the essence of who I am.
This year Makayla received the math department award for Team Excellence, Presidential Fitness Award (only 8 other girls in the whole school received it, an award that was harder to earn than I realized), and the trophy for All A's 6th and 7th grade. Last year when we attended the ceremony for her awards, she told me she wanted the All A's trophy for true A's not even an A-, and she accomplished her goal.

Principal Mark Koch announcing the All A's award.