6.09.2010

Rainier to Ruston and Green River Marathon

Ringing the bell sending off the next runner in my first relay race.
Suzanne, Tracy, Makay, Michele, Moi, Bianca.

All of them great runners.

I was asked by these ladies to join in on a 50 mile relay race from Mt. Rainier to Ruston Parkway (on the Puget Sound). I think people think I can run because Randy is such an awesome running machine, and a great compliment, though I am only slow and steady.
I am just getting back into running and have socially been a little quiet lately. So I decided having some girl time and a new experience would be good as long as they weren't counting on me for a fast time.
As it happened, Randy also had a marthon the same morning. The Green River Marathon, which he took nice and easy since he is battling a pulled hamstring and is trying to be careful before his next upcoming marathon in 3 weeks.


50 miles later, the finish!


In between here and there.

More in between here and there.

Ruston Parkway. Beautiful. Sunny. Paved :).


This was my part of the trail. But pic, not me! Only glimpse the ladies would have had of me during my 1st leg of 2.


I was back slugging through some mud, leaping side to side of the trail over rocks, tree roots, and water rivulets that engulfed the trail, grabbing clumps of leaves and stinging nettle to keep from slipping and falling for 5.7 miles. I've never been on such a muddy or challenging course.


Sounds yucka. My shoes definitely were. But it was probably the prettiest part of the course, too. On the mountain. In the mountain. Rough. Muddy. Isolated.

I made it. Got to ring the bell!