3.10.2009

Celebration of Learning

Randy often asks the kids, "what do I always want you to remember?" The kids blurt back, "that you love us." In the mornings when I drop them off at school and they are hurrying to hop out of the truck before the traffic school aide waves me on (think of Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom), I call out, "remember who you are and love learning." As such, I love that their school dedicates a night to literally celebrate learning. It is a little mix of back to school night/overview of class projects/fundraiser type of event (they do a spaghetti feed and basket raffles).

We still didn't win...maybe next year...I am so hoping we get the Webkinz Basket, because I totally need more overpriced stuffed animals at home...Cayden's class put together Snuggle Up and Read Basket and Madalyn's a Jonas Brother's Basket...Cayden told me if he won the gift certificate basket he'd give it to me...way to be buddy! Ms. Lagerquist, Madalyn and student teacher Ms. Rasmussen from Pacific University.
Madalyn and I under the Great Kapok Tree. All the 2nd grade is learning about South America. Madalyn brought in our real alligator head from Grandma Gorter for display.
Cayden's report on Black Panthers-

As we entered the school foyer, Cayden's report was front and center. His teacher told me, the kids had set up their reports earlier but then she rearranged them so the best one's were out front, and I want to take and brag and gag moment, Cayden's report was the first one. I was really proud of him. In years past, this has been a take home project, with the parents doing a lot of the work. However, this year his teacher Mrs. Hanson wanted the kids to do it all at school. So I literally didn't see it until we came into school...
the mounted report
the accent leaves
the pictures
the nice straight lines
the awesome information
I learned black panthers, black leopards and black jaguars are the same animal, they have different names depending on where they live and yes, they have spots!