3.09.2009

let's have a snowball fight

My beautfiul friend from Japan, Ms. Maple. I check in on her often from my kitchen window for the latest weather report as I do dishes, unload dishes, do more dishes, unload dishes....you get the idea.There was a burst of snow this morning, enough to cover the road and leave the kids hoping school would be cancelled. School up here gets cancelled on a whim - they've missed almost 2 weeks of school because of "dangerous driving conditions"... the inch or less of snow on the road...the school year is now extended to almost the end of June! Living here, we've never been woken up by a snowplow grumbling and scraping the asphalt because they just don't plough side streets...they barely even get to major, main roads, using sand instead of salt to keep the Puget Sound and the whales and the fish and the tree huggers that don't drink bottled waters free from pollutants.

Coming home from running errands today, it hit me, literally, sun melted snow dropping off the towering trees and splattering on my windshield, enough so I had to keep flicking on my windshield wipers. It made me think, it was like Mother Nature surprising me with a snowball coming out of nowhere. And duh! because there are so many more trees here, Mother Nature just keeps up popping up all over the roadways.