3.21.2009

Joseph Smith Papers

Last week for our date night, Randy and I had the opportunity to hear from, Steven Harper, who is a lead editor on the Jospeh Smith papers. It was fascinating to find out how this project came about. In essence, all the information about Joseph Smith from court documents, newspapers, journals, members and critics of the Church is being organized and published. Harper noted one scholar said he wouldn't forgive Jospeh Smith for having a doctor as a scribe on some of his paperwork because it is soo hard to read.
He quoted Marlin K. Jensen, church historian, saying this is the most significant historical work in our lifetime to take place. There are over 100 people working on this project to make sure it is as complete and correct as possible. I look forward to learning more. To find out more, go to http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/.

As a side note, Randy and I had our general authority interview with Marlin K. Jensen. The comment that stood out most from our interview was, "be real.....the church needs more members who are real." I try to be genuine. Though I admit, that at times I am jealous or judge, or I don't wholeheartedly mean it when is say, "let me know if you need anything" and yes, I even think some babies are ugly though I totally love babies but it is good their momma's love them too! How is that for genuine.