3.21.2009

Luck of the Irish

Top of the Mornin' to You! Cayleb busy making the traditional green milk for our Lucky Charms cereal.

So many things make time go by quickly, but one way time is marked for me is by the holidays. My mom always made, and still usually does, make holidays, birthdays, special. I have a little of that in me, not much, but I've never boasted I am the "hostess with the mostest".
Madalyn took her lunch to school in a Pot of Gold. It must have been an extra special pot because the class leprechaun used it later to leave gold chocolate coins for the class, he even left her a note to say thanks.

Ingredients needed for a rainbow - rain and sun. We get rain, just not so much sun. So Cayleb and I caught some "rainbows" and put them inside our boxes (recovered matchboxes).
The kids were anxious to see what naughty little things the leprechauns would do this year since last year they were extra naughty and even blocked the kids entrance into their rooms with their mattresses.
Thankfully, this year I had the luck of the Irish on my side since they only stole some of our green mini-cupcakes, left a crumbled mess in the hall, hid the truck keys just as we needed to leave for school (Cayleb, way to find them in a hurry), and opened up all the dwarers and dumped out clothes.
Kiss Me I'm Irish or Kiss the Cook, either way I was pleased with a new way I cooked our cabbage and corned beef.
The smell of boiled cabbage is yuck, plus you lose a lot of the vitamin C. So this year I set out to figure out a better way to cook it. Love, the internet. Found a suggestion to cut cabbage into quarters, remove center, run under cold water, don't shake too hard, wrap tightly in foil and bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. It was so easy, no smell and turned out moist and green. To make it even better, add a strip of bacon. I didn't have any, but will have to try that next time.
As far as the corned beef, I added 8 beef bouillon cubes into my crock pot and cooked the corned beef longer, and it turned out fantastic. The kids liked it much better this way and had some, but still opted to have more of the other green food.
Our Pretty Kid Friendly, Easy in the Kitchen Green Menu-
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Green Spinach Wraps filled with chicken and green veggies
Green Grapes
Potatoes with parsley
Green veggie tray- cucumbers, celery, sliced green peppers,
Dyed green drink
Chocolate Chip Mint ice-cream and green mini-cupcakes with hidden coins inside (Madalyn was the lucky one to find the treasure)